Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thing 8 Flickr Mashups

I uploaded some of my own pictures on Flickr so that I could play.  I made the photograph journal of our trip to the Smithsonian.  Neat!  I used the Mosaic Maker to make this.  I wasn't real comfortable with adding pictures of my family, as I just am not sure that I want to have pictures floating around on the world wide web for anyone to grab just in case I had a bad hair day and forgot to click "private".  It's better to err on the side of caution.

I also made the following with Big Huge Labs Billboard toy.  Aren't my puppies cute?  It says Chillax on the billboard.


While I enjoyed spending an enormous amount of time playing with many of the fun tools that mashups provide, it was insane how many hours I wasted just playing.  Good thing I'm in this class and can honestly tell my husband that I'm doing homework!

Seriously, I do see the fun in creating neat things, like my billboard above, for personal use.  It's great to share photos and be able to manipulate their presentation, too.  I could also see that for extra credit in the classroom you could encourage students to engage in this time intensive, yet fun, tool.  I don't think that I would let elementary students use these tools, as they may not have the where-with-all to be sure to make pictures private.  Middle schoolers would have a blast with this and I'm sure they wouldn't have as tough a time creating as I did.  Technology skills are still in the infancy phase for me.  I'm sure that by the time I've finished this class and Thing 23, that I will have at least reached the teenage phase!  Drive on!

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I feel like I have gotten to know you so much better through this blog. I love your honesty about your feelings while creating this blog. I appreciate the ideas you share as well as your true thoughts and feelings. I love the Smithsonian collage. You could use that in your classroom so children could see what was in the Smithsonian because most of them may never get to experience that for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabitha, you are so sweet. I can't tell you how much I needed to hear some positive, reassuring words today. Thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete