Friday, September 16, 2011

Thing 6 Discovering Web 2.0 Tools

Thing 6's assignment was delicious!  No, really, I chose delicious, the online bookmarking tool, which claims to be the "tastiest bookmarks on the web" as well as the "biggest collection of bookmarks in the universe".  I have to agree.  This site features tabs including Fresh Bookmarks, which contains the newest bookmarks, Hottest Bookmarks, which are what they say they are, hottest or most popular, and my personal favorite, Explore Tags.  The Explore Tags include popular tags and groups them logically.  Here, you can either type in a tag to search, or use one of the popular tags listed.  For example, I chose the education tag.  It was no surprise to me that Khan Academy was on the top of the list of popular education tags.  Khan Academy is one of my favorite education sites and apparently I'm not the only one using it.  As of this posting, Khan Academy had 23,996 tags as per the delicious site.

There are many things to like about the delicious tool.  I was impressed that I could search for any tag I want in the search section.  For example, I put in 5th grade math, and came up with over 1,800 tags.  Well, that could be a bit overwhelming, however, delicious offers filters to help me overcome the temptation (or is it frustration?) of peeking into each site.  There are only a few things that I disliked about this tool.  First, I think that the grouping and tags should be listed alphabetically.  I'm an organization freak, so bear with me.  However, the search engine negates the true NEED for alphabetizing, so I guess I could cut them some slack.  Additionally, it would be divine if the tag indicated if a site were FREE or not.  I guess that would have to come from the person actually tagging the site, but still, I can dream......  Well, what do you know?!  I usually have my best thoughts or reminders in the middle of the night (why is that?).  I pondered why this tool didn't have a sort feature for free.  This morning I went back in and guess what?  You can search by the tag free!  Awesome!

The application for schools is unlimited.  As a teacher, I could create my own delicious page for my students.  I could also search this site using it's awesome search engine to find websites that could supplement or reinforce my content.  I could add website that could be accessed during center time to work on reading, spelling, math, science, whatever!  The only down side to this Web 2.0 tool is that it could potentially pull you into the cyber world for hours at a time --- like it has done to me during this Thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment