Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thing #4 - Why Commenting is Important

After reading these blogs, I agree that commenting creates or enhances a sense of community and interaction.  It's just human nature to want to know if your audience hears you.  It's great to have a voice, but if nobody is listening it gets frustrating.  Having a blog without having any meaningful comments is like asking the kids to clean their room for the tenth time and they give you the deer in the headlights look, and "Did you say something, Mom?".

The bottom line of the blogs, at least my interpretation, was that we should all follow the Golden Rule -- treat others the way you would like to be treated.  Add a comment, if you have something meaningful to say or care about the topic or thank the author if you feel so inclined.   I was not surprised to learn that only one out of every 100 readers comments on a blog.  Seems to make sense to me.  In this crazy, busy world we live in, who has the time to comment on EVERY post?  Additionally, it makes sense that controversial posts will get the most response.   Just like a child, if you are poked with a stick, you usually poke back, right?

I must admit that after reading the Cool Cat Teacher's blog http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2006/08/how-to-comment-like-king-or-queen.html, I went back and added a photo of myself and some personal information to my own blog.  Her advice about sharing something about yourself made sense.

Names of 7 blogs (5 from class & 2 others) why I selected, the comment and why.

1.  I responded to Janie's request to name the tv show that was playing in her photo.  I must admit that I originally posted my response in Flickr then realized today, that I didn't post to her blog (I'm still learning -- still in training wheels, but getting ready to ditch them as I'm on Thing 9 starting tomorrow morning!

2.  I responded to Jeanie's post to my blog on September 20.  I commented on her response to thank her and acknowledge her taking the time to view my blog.  I am reinforcing good blogging behavior.  Thanks, Jeanie!


3.  I posted to Jessi's blog on September 22.  Her trip abroad interested me.  It also showed me that we have something in common as I traveled there, too.  Anyway, here is exactly what I posted to her blog.

4.  I left a comment on Ashlee Appleton's blog on September 23.  Her 7 1/2 Habits comment on needing to play more caused me to reflect and realize that I needed to, also, which I stated in my response.

5.  I left a comment on Sarah Felts' blog on September 25.  I noticed that her Flickr photo didn't show up on her blog.  If anyone reads my blog and sees a typo, something missing, whatever, PLEASE post a comment so that I know and can fix it!  Thanks!

6.  I did it!  I posted to the THE REE DRUMMOND's Pioneer Woman blog!  I love the photo contests that she has, so I posted to the winner of the Charlie photo contest.  On 10/6, I said "It is so nice to get humorous pictures and stories from your blog.  These days, gloom and doom seem to permeate every aspect of our lives.  Thanks for reminding us to laugh and enjoy life!  I appreciate you, Mrs. Ree Drummond!"  Once my post is approved it should show up here


7.  I posted to my friends running mommy blog weeks ago, but she is super busy and hasn't approved my post.  I posted that I enjoy reading her stories about running and that she keeps me motivated to keep running.  I'll shoot her an email and tell her that I NEED it for this class.  Isn't technology awesome?  Should I text her, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment