Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thing 11 - Finding Good Feeds


This is how I feel now that I have my Google Reader set up.  For those of you not in my age bracket, the above superhero is He Man, Master of the Universe.  I now have the news that I want at my fingertips and in my inbox.  I feel so powerful!  If you want to see me rotate, while holding the sword, click here.
 
I added SchoolLibrary Journal grades 5 and up feed to my Google Reader.  I live in a house full of readers, and we are always in the market for a good book.  Also, I truly believe in the power of literature to teach history, math, whatever (!) in an approachable, memorable way.  History was so boring to me in school.  Now, I learn history that I should have already known through books like Bud, Not Buddy or Out of the Dust.  My daughters experience history through interesting literature, like George Washington’s Socks.  Guess what? They like it!  They learn it!  My girls can’t be the only ones, so that is how I plan to teach.
I went to Topic.net and LOVE that you can get the local Clarksville news on an RSS feed.  Yeah!  I can know what that big boom I just heard really meant.  Now that’s news you can use!
 
I followed your recommendation, and Google blog search was by far the easiest and in my opinion, most professional.  I found none of the blog search engines were confusing. Technorati has an awesome name, so of course I had to check it out.  It would be great if you are into the Entertainment Tonight sort of scene, but any search engine that has Lady Gaga on the opening page makes me think they aren’t going to provide me with good, newsworthy information.  This tool does have top risers and fallers of blogs, including top tags and videos.  If you were looking for entertainment, I’d go here. However, when I typed in the same strand here that I did in Google Search “school library learning 2.0” I got “Zero”.  I typed in “dogs” in my search and got 4,240 blogs.  See my point.  I only have time for real, useful news.  If I want entertainment, I’ll turn my IPhone on to Farm Story.  See, isn’t my farm awesome?
 Image citation:
ddgcom.  "He Man Master of the Universe1."  Devianart.com.  No date.  25 Sept 2011.  http://ddgcom.deviantart.com/art/He-man-Master-Of-the-universe1-162381938.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's excellent good job. I hope to one day feel like that with all this technology. I am in you age bracket do you remember She Ra!

    He Man and She Ra! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete