Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thing 12 - Google's Not Just for Searching Anymore. . . .

It was fun to explore some of Google's tools.  I signed up for the Google Alerts.  This tool will be useful for my Research project.  Google is going to do some of my behind the scenes work and search the web for "cluster grouping and academic achievement" for me.  Guess I'll just put my feet up and enjoy my coffee. . . ..  No seriously, this was super easy to do and whatever Google finds on this topic, it will send me an alert to my email account.  How awesome is that?!  I would use this in the classroom in the same manner for my students who were researching topics.  The only negative would be that it may overwhelm them by the amount of information that comes in as alerts.  Maybe only use it when the topic is something obscure, like cluster grouping and academic achievement?

While the Google Calendar tool is really cool, I'm "over-calendared" as it is with my own Outlook calendar on my Mac and Iphone.  Not only that, I use the calendar tool that is built in to the APSU OneStop email account to keep track of my work/APSU to do's.  Further, I use the D2L Calendar to notify me of up and coming due dates for school related items.  I'm an uber-organizer, but even I don't need one more calendar. 

I played with the Google translator.  I can see that this would be a very fun tool when you are traveling, or if you are learning a foreign language.  Say you need to find the train station.  All you do is type in "Where is the train station?" and "Tada!":
 I can see using the translator in the classroom if you are teaching a foreign language and a child is really stumped on how to say something.  Or, maybe you could use it on your IPhone while you study abroad.  The possibilities are endless.  Glauben Sie nicht?

No comments:

Post a Comment