Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thing 16 - Get organized with Web 2.0 Tools

I chose the IGoogle start page.  First, I am a die hard Google fan.  They have good tools, searches, etc. so why not try them first?  I loved how easy it was to add, edit, rearrange or remove a gadget.  Google was easier to manipulate and navigate than either PageFlakes or Netvibes.  Here is a screen shot of the IGoogle start page, which I did make as my home page.

I was able to add in minutes my favorite quotes of the day, a hamster to keep me company and a fish tank game to help me relax.  Not only that, I easily changed my news source to Fox and the weather for my favorite places.  Don't you like the contemplative pup at the top of my page?  Further down on the page, that you can't see, I also have artist of the day, quotes from famous people inspirational qoutes and free Itunes downloads.

For the online calendar to do list, I again chose Google. I have to share a secret.  I'm a control freak and like to have my ducks in a row as my Dad used to say.  Here is the calendar that I made in Google.  Note the difference from my regular calendar to my Google calendar.  That's what happens when someone close to you dies.  Everything gets wiped off your calendar and to do list and you take care of the remaining living.  Please tell your family you love them today and every day.
Online calendars really aren't useful to me, as is indicated above that I LIVE by my calendar.  Thanks to my IPhone, I'm able to take my calendar with me.  I even have reminders pop up a few days or minutes before each calendar entry, whichever is needed.  I also use the D2L calendar to manage my due outs for school and my calendar in my school email to handle work related to dos.

I tried Tada's to do list, as you can see below, however, I don't see myself using it.  Logging in online to add something else to my to do list is something I can't see myself doing. The to do list that is incorporated within my iCalendar is so easy to use and since I set up reminders, it reminds me at an appropriate interval.
As a planner, tools such as calendars and to do lists are essential.  Being a busy mom, student and worker bee, I have to be able to wear a lot of hats and juggle a bunch of schedules in order to be sure that everything is done when it should be (hopefully a bit before!) and everyone is where they should be, when they should be.  I can't imagine effectively running my school, work, or home schedule without having a to do list AND a calendar.  They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I highly recommend these tools to all people.  I'll agree that to do lists can take a bit of time to set up and monitor, however, the setup is worth the cost and then some.  Besides, it feels great to mark something off my list.  In fact, I use the old fashioned to do list for my girls with their chores.  They love wiping that chore off their wipe board list.  Something is strangely satisfying about wiping one more thing off a list -- see, I'm showing my control freak side again!  Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment