Friday, October 7, 2011

Thing 15 - What in the World is a Wiki?

Hi!  Wikis are great tools for a lot of things.  My fifth grade daughter's teachers share a wiki page.  It sure comes in handy to check for important test dates, misplaced newsletters, project requirements, rubrics and more.  I checked out several of the listed wikis, however, hands down, my favorite is the teacherlibrianwiki.  There is no excuse for not finding the perfect book to supplement your lessons when you have so many resources on this wiki.

My exploration of several of these wikis did pose an important and (I'll say it.....) irritating problem.  If you have a link in your wiki/blog/document, whatever!  You need to be sure to update and check links often.  Maybe mark your calendar so that once a month you check the links.  Just an idea and an honest revelation of one of my many pet peeves.

I played in the APSU Sandbox and posted my tribute to Steve Jobs.  I could see that playing in the sandbox and modifying others work could and can be fun.  Not only that, but as the YouTube link describing wikis showed, wikis can be easy communication/organization tools, especially when planning trips, parties, etc.  As a teacher, I would probably imitate my daughter's teachers and make my wiki too, especially if I was team teaching, as her teachers are doing.  A blog is great if you are only modifying content, but if you need to share, wikis are the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment